Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Oriental Fried Rice

I have been wanting to get this recipe for Fried Rice up for quite some time.  It is a total winner that will spoil you for even restaurant fried rice.  It is so easy and quick, not to mention everyone is always happy to see it on the table.  It tends to be one of those quick meals that I whip out on a busy night, so I have never gotten it photographed.  I had my crew around me, giggling at me taking my food pictures tonight (anxiously waiting to eat) so I didn't look closely at them.  Unfortunately, I see that they didn't turn out very good.  I will have to make it again and have a re-shoot!  I'm not waiting any longer to share though!  

As you will see, I have shrimp in the picture below, but not in the recipe.  I typically make this with chicken but tonight I only had one (very measly) breast so we had 1 chicken breast diced up and about 3/4 c. on small shrimp in the rice.  It was very good that way.  You can get creative and use leftover meat that you have on hand too!  Leftover pork tenderloin would be great!  



Oriental Fried Rice

 4 Whole Eggs, Slightly Beaten
4 Tablespoons Oil
2 whole Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, Cut Into Small Pieces
4-5 whole Green Onions, Sliced (use White And Green Parts)
6 cups Cooked Rice (This is 2 cups raw,white rice)
3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 teaspoons Sugar


Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a skillet over high heat.  Quickly fry the chicken until browned, reduce heat to medium-high.  Add the rest of the oil and fry beaten eggs in oil until firm. Chop up the eggs as you cook them. In the same pan after egg is cooked, add onion; cook over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add cooked rice. Mix soy sauce with sugar and drizzle over rice. Cook for about 4 more minutes, stirring occasionally.

Serve with extra soy sauce, if desired.


Note: An absolute MUST when making fried rice, is to make your rice ahead of time and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours, but preferably overnight.  The reason for this is that it will turn the grains firm and get rid of excess moisture.  If you use freshly cooked rice, you will end up with a lumpy, goopey mess.  Remember, Fried Rice was invented as a way to use up leftover rice!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails