Friday, February 18, 2011

Egg Drop Soup

My family, as you well know, just loves Chinese food.  One of my kids' absolute favorites is Egg Drop Soup. It is just so dang easy to make and it is something we typically have the ingredients on hand for, so we have it very frequently as a first course to a Chinese meal.  I have made many, many different recipes but I do think this was my favorite to date.  I really liked the taste of the ginger in it & the way the cornstarch thickened it, just a touch.  Give this a try!  You won't regret it!




Egg Drop Soup

5 cups chicken broth (low-sodium is best), divided
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 green onions, finely chopped (chives are even better & what I like to use when I have my summer herb garden)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 eggs

Reserve 3/4 cup of chicken broth, and pour the rest into a large saucepan. Stir the salt, ginger and green onions or chives into the saucepan, and bring to a rolling boil. In a cup or small bowl, stir together the remaining broth and cornstarch until smooth.  Stir in the cornstarch mixture gradually until the soup is the desired consistency.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.

In a small bowl, beat the eggs using a fork.  Add eggs slowly, stirring soup in clockwise direction with a wooden spoon.   Egg should cook immediately. 

Enjoy!


One Year Ago:  Pork Medallions with Olive-Caper Sauce (A family favorite!)

2 comments:

  1. Megan, this looks delicious. I'm relatively new to your blog and don't often post, but I wanted you to know how much I enjoy the food and recipe you feature here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add a tablespoon of margarine......yum

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails