Monday, August 30, 2010

Blueberry Snack Cake

Last night, while browsing through some of my favorite cooking blogs, I came across the recipe for this Blueberry Snack Cake on Mommy's Kitchen.  I checked in my freezer, and discovered that I had exactly the right amount of blueberries for this recipe (and they were looking like they may not last much longer).  That, coupled with the fact that my daughter was going to have her first day of school today and I wanted something special for breakfast, was enough to set the baking wheels into motion.  I'm glad I made it because my kids (and I) absolutely loved it.  It was dark when this finished baking, so please excuse my terrible picture.

 
Blueberry Snack Cake

2 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. cold butter
1 tsp. baking powder
1 c. milk
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites, beaten
2 c. fresh for frozen blueberries (if frozen DO NOT thaw)

In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and sugar.  Cut the butter into small pieces using a knife and add to the flour mixture.  Blend using a fork or pastry blender, until crumbly.  Set aside 3/4 c. mixture to use as a topping.  Add the baking powder, milk, egg yolks.  Mix well.  Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.  Fold into batter.  Pour into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish.  Sprinkle with blueberries and reserved crumb mixture.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown or a toothpick comes out clean.  

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails