Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Sweet & Spicy Chicken

Hi all!  I hope everyone is enjoying their last day of June!  I can hardly believe it is already nearly July!  I have a couple great and easy recipes to get up today that would be great for over the holiday weekend!  


I thought I would try out a cast of character shot.  2 chicken breasts, brown sugar, petite diced tomatoes, crushed red pepper, and adorable 7 year old.








Sweet & Spicy Slow Cooker Chicken
Serves 4 (This was *just* enough for my family of 2 adults 3 kids.)

1 lb. (about 2 breasts) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
14 oz. can petite diced tomatoes (last time I didn't drain, but next time I will drain most of the juice out, as you can see, my chicken is a little TOO juicy)
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (add more if you want extra heat. This was mild enough that even my spice hating 4 year old ate it)

Lightly spritz your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.  Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker.  In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, brown sugar, and red pepper flakes.  Pour over the chicken.  Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8-9 hours.  

Remove the chicken to a cutting board and shred with 2 forks.  Return to the slow cooker and mix the chicken with the juices from the tomato/brown sugar sauce.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  

Serve in Flour Tortillas with topping such as: Lettuce, Avocado, Shredded Cheddar, and/or Sour Cream

Freezable Meal: You can freeze the leftovers in a freezer safe container and let thaw in the fridge overnight before serving the next day.  Reheat over medium-low heat in a saucepan on the stove top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails