Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Granola

Thought I'd get a post up quickly while I eat my breakfast this morning, then it is time to go play with the girls!  My niece spent the night last night and gets to hang out with Grace and I for the day.  Right now, they are making a giant tent to play house in:-)  We have plans of making some blue playdough and maybe heading to the library later!  Fun!

I just love this granola recipe.  It was given to me by my good friend, Jen, (who is a great cook) and I have already made it several times.  I like to eat it as cereal (it is very filling though, it doesn't take much!), plain, or a favorite of both my kids and I is to mix yogurt and berries together and top it with this granola (think McD's fruit and yogurt parfait).


Granola

4 c. regular oats
1/2 c. shredded coconut 
3/4 c. wheat germ
3/4 c. chopped nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts)
1/3  c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. dry milk
2/3 c. honey
1/4 c. Canola oil
Raisins, Craisins, or other dried fruit (optional- I leave them out to keep the hubby and kids happy)

Spray or lightly grease a jelly roll pan and preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl.  Combine honey and oil in small saucepan, heat to dissolve honey (I just heated it over medium-low while I mixed the dry ingredients).  Pour over the granola mixture, stir well.  

Spread in the pan and bake for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5.  It won't crisp up until it cools, so don't be tempted to over-bake it.  

Remove from oven, stir it periodically while it cools to separate the grains.  Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.  You can also freeze this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails