Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Chinese Beef Broccoli

Lately, I have become obsessed with the Pioneer Woman's recipes.  I have yet to try anything that hasn't knocked my socks off.  The only problem I foresee with this new obsession is that my ability to button my pants might become a bit of a difficulty.  I am just hoping my 1/2 marathon training prevents me from too much weight gain;P  

This beef broccoli recipe isn't actually bad, it is actually pretty healthy.  Then again, this isn't actually PW's recipe even though she does feature it on her site.  It actually comes from Steamy Kitchen, another fantastic food blogger.  Beef Broccoli is a family favorite around here.  I am always trying out new recipes that I think might be just a little better than the last.  This one really was a contender for one of the best.  It is certainly the simplest version I have ever tried.  Actually, I was surprised by how little sauce was used, very different from other recipes.  I really didn't hinder the flavor though and it actually enhanced the main ingredients instead of drowning them in a heavy sauce.  I know I will be making this again! 


Chinese Beef Broccoli
Serves 4 as part of a multi-course meal

1 lb. top sirloin or flank steak, sliced very thin (1/8 in. thick strips)
1 1/2 lb. broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets
1 Tbsp. high heat cooking oil (I used canola oil)
1 Tbsp. minced garlic

Beef Marinade:
1 1/2 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. cooking oil (I used sesame oil)
Freshly ground black pepper to season the beef

Stir-Fry Sauce:
3 Tbsp. oyster sauce
2 tsp. Chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
2 tsp. Chinese black vinegar (or balsamic vinegar)

In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the beef marinade.  Add the beef and let marinate for 10 minutes at room temperature.

In a small bowl, mix together the ingredients for the stir-fry sauce.

In a wok or large saute pan, add 1 inch of water and bring to a boil.  Add the broccoli and cover to steam for 3 minutes.  The broccoli should be bright green, crisp tender, and you should be able to pierce the stem with a fork.  Drain.

Discard the water in the pan and dry the pan well.  Set the pan over high-heat and when hot, add the high-heat cooking oil and swirl to coat.  Add the garlic and fry for 15-30 seconds, until fragrant.  Add the steak strips, keeping them in one layer, and fry 30 seconds.  Flip the strips and fry the other side.

Pour in the stir-fry sauce and stir to combine.  Simmer until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 30 seconds.  Add the cooked broccoli back into the pan and toss to coat well.

Serve atop white rice.

Source: Steamy Kitchen as featured on Pioneer Woman


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails